Age Spots/Sun Spots
Age spots/sun spots are collections of melanin which have accumulated on the top layer of the skin. These pigmentation changes are commonly seen on sun-exposed skin and tend to start appearing when middle-aged. They can be upsetting cosmetically.
WHAT PEAU CAN DO FOR YOUR AGE SPOTS/SUN SPOTS
IPL, also known as photorejuvenation, is an innovative, non-invasive rejuvenation technique which involves high intensity pulsations of light (not lasers) passing through the skin. It is non-ablative; meaning no skin is removed.
- This breakthrough treatment involves directing energy to the treatment area.
- The energy is delivered to both superficial and deep layers of the skin, sparing the epidermis.
- The result is an exfoliation of damaged skin coupled with the stimulation of collagen production on the skin’s surface.
- Benefits include the smoothing of fine lines and wrinkles, smoother, more revitalized skin, improved texture and a reduction in pore size.
- The treatment can be used effectively on the face, neck, chest and hands.
- It does not contain harmful UV light and is a very safe, effective and established treatment for a number of benign skin conditions.
- The “no-downtime” feature is greatly appreciated by clients/patients.
PEAU’s state-of-the-art laser skin resurfacing technology is the industry Gold Standard. The procedure is a very precise, controlled, dermatologist administered treatment where thin sections of skin are removed, layer by layer, which is replaced by younger skin growth.
- The physician uses a controlled beam of energy allowing for exact penetration of depth into the dermis.
- The energy vaporizes the damaged cells, greatly reducing the appearance of pigmented areas.
- Patients’ treatments are tailored to match the skin condition and to meet desired results.
- Laser resurfacing has associated risks and the recovery time is often a disadvantage for patients. All concerns should be discussed with PEAU’s specialist dermatologist.
The revolutionary, state-of-the-art pulsed dye laser works by producing a bright beam of light which is selectively absorbed by the blood vessels in the pigmented lesion (red or brown spots) in the form of energy and heat.
- The body, then, reabsorbs the treated blood vessels during the natural healing process.
- The result is a reduction or “fading away” of the appearance of the pigmented age spots/sun spots.
- The beam of light selectively targets the pigmented spots without adversely affecting the tissue surrounding them.
- The cooling device enhances patient comfort and safety by reducing the risk of pigmentary changes, blistering and purpura.
Skincare Regime for Sun Spots/Age Spots
There is an array of over the counter and prescription creams, ointments, and medications available for the treatment of age spots/sun spots. Following a consultation, a skin care regime will be recommended by the dermatologist, possibly in conjunction with one or more treatments. A skincare regime should be looked upon as a long-term commitment made by the individual and not a single treatment or therapy.
The first step, however, is to become vigilant about prevention. If it has not been daily protocol up until now, make it so. Protect yourself from the invisible yet intense rays of the sun. This is firstly and more importantly a health benefit (as you help to protect yourself against noncancerous and cancerous skin tumors) and secondly an aesthetic benefit as helps to prevent damage to the skin.
Choose a broad spectrum sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) greater than 15 and pay attention to how often it needs to be re-applied if you are exposed to the sun for long periods of time. Be diligent about covering exposed areas.
Microdermabrasion is a non-invasive technique that works on the top layer of the skin (the epidermis). The procedure exfoliates the skin by essentially removing dead skin cells with an ultrasonic applicator.
PEAU’S technology is painless and safe, and does not require a topical anaesthetic. It is suitable for all skin types and colors. PEAU’s state-of-art equipment is a technological advancement, a wet peel, that is not abrasive and works well on sensitive skin.
- It does not use messy and harsh crystals or other particulates.
- The technology is gentle enough for all skin types, including inflamed, sensitive, rosacea, couperose and acneic skin.
- The procedure delivers an even exfoliation.
- The moisturizing function, specific to this technology, boosts hydration levels and leaves the skin soft and supple.